sábado, 13 de dezembro de 2014

December in Brazil!

It’s crazy to think that since I was about 5 years old I wanted to save animals and see the world. Now I’m 21 conserving wildlife and the environment in a rain forest National park in Brazil.  It seems surreal. I've never been that clever growing up especially struggling with dyslexia my entire life, and many teachers and people I knew growing up never expected me to go far or never thought I’d ever cut out for even college and now I’m doing what I've always been so passionate about and undergoing a bachelor of science degree. Safe to say I've already exceeded my own expectations.

Finally Myself and Joe have begun collecting data on our own research which means going down the trail for 2500m all the time and my legs/knees are already killing me! Especially on the last 400m which is just horrendous climbing at least I’m getting in shape. Although even though it’s early days I've had some amazing experience despite the hard-work, this includes seeing beautiful birds including the Manikan as seen on the new David Attenborough programme, parakeets, LOTS of hummingbirds and even a baby frog in my hair. But best of all we saw the endangered southern Muriquis!!! One thing I have learnt working in a rain forest is that insect’s including mosquito's are a pain; plus some flies following me and Joe around like we’re cartoon tramps. Vines also may look amazing and pretty in documentaries but in life are serious tripping/strangling hazards; especially for me whom is extremely clumsy. At the moment admittedly I do feel a little bit like Steve Backshaw :P. 

Although conservationist’s worst enemy is unpredictable weather. As it stands 27/11/14 I have woken up another day early in the morning to find the weather is rain to go out in. The trail we collect our data from is extremely slippery during the rain and the river too high to cross making it too hazardous to work. Plus wildlife often shelters from the rain anyways. Very annoying at the moment when were currently in the rainy season. 

Since my last blog I have also moved into new accommodation here as well, the accommodation is larger which is good when sharing with another person. Although the kitchen is smaller and lots of rangers come in and out. But best of all is that the Capuchin's are always right outside out room, which are super interesting to observe. Other new experiences include another event here which I love because it means we get tons of free nice food including the Brazilian beans which taste delicious. Although generally I am not keen on the Brazilian food, it’s too bland and no spice. Although the Acai drinks here are incredible, it’s like a thick fruit, sugary smoothy. Yum!  And let’s not forget the Caprinhas!, made from cachaska (don’t know how to spell it). Also at the event we saw a strange tradition where at this time of year people from Rio come in wearing costumes representing different animals and playing the drums. I thought this was a very odd tradition.  Another experience includes trying out the local nightclub. Not something intend to repeat that’s for sure.


It’s a strange experience being here in December, its warm here and it’s difficult to feel very festive, especially knowing that I will be apart from my Family this year. I am trying to make the best of a bad situation though.  It’s nice being in a warm country but in honest truth I miss the cold days at home.  Nothing beats the rush of Christmas, finding presents for everyone and listening to Christmas songs for weeks. Unfortunately I will miss that this year.  I am also still struggling a lot with the culture here and Brazilian people often consider the British to come across as very cold people. I guess because were not as expressive and overly friendly like the locals here.   

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário