sábado, 27 de dezembro de 2014

Christmas On Ilha Grande

Ihla Grande
So to the avoid the depressing feeling of not being at home with my family at Christmas I have decided to spend a few days on the paradise Island of Ilha Grande!

Day 1- Today has been a tiring day, woke up at 4:30 in the morning so I could get a bus into to Rio from Terresopolis (3hrs). although tiring driving through the endless mountain ranges which surround us whilst the sun rises was like walking into a post card. After arriving in Rio we then another bus to Andra dos Ries (3hrs),  From there I was supposed to get a ferry but as for some reason the ferry wasn’t running I ended up getting on another local boat which was taking food the island, it was there I realised how touristy this place is as on arrival we met some Friendly French backpackers. Unfortunately it’s currently raining here on the Island, nevertheless on arrival you could already see the amazing beauty of the tropical waters and forest that the island presents, something which will be even more incredible when the sun arrives (fingers crossed). Arriving here at 4pm we got settled into our hotel which unbelievably bright with outstanding colours of yellows, blues and pinks, something you would expect from a movie! After getting settled I decided to explore the surrounding area. The area is filled with small shops, restaurants, cocktail bars and places advertising different tours, all in such a close proximity you can explore everything in 5 minutes. After exploring me and Joe decided to go for a nice sea food based meal in one of the restaurants, the meal the delicious (fried fish!) followed by a cheeky cocktail on the seafront (despite the rain). One thing I am anxious about is fitting in the snorkelling and time on the beach. It’s given rain tomorrow so thinking about going seeing the ruins or maybe a hike, depending on the weather J

Day 2 aka Christmas Eve! – Honestly it doesn’t feel a lot like Christmas, today was a small disaster, it was given thunderstorms all day and until now it’s been overcast but warm (probably a good day to actually get out snorkelling) however because we expected rain we went to see some of the ruins and sat by the beach having beers and another meal consisting of crab and four cheese pasta alongside a hefty breakfast at the hotel. Today we also had a dip in the natural pool! Which are nice and refreshing. It was also nice to see some of the island in the sun but I’m still looking forward to going out snorkelling and seeing some of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, however likewise this is somewhat weather dependant, hopefully both Christmas day and boxing day! At the moment with it being Christmas Eve I have just opened the present which I packed before coming here! I love it! It’s so quirky and a lot, of thought has gone into it. I got a travel sized ‘4 in a row’, hikers sock, a buff head scarf, a bottle opener an awesome “climbers” key ring and a waterproof notepad so my field notes don’t get wet! Pretty much what every traveller needs! This morning I also got some good pictures of the hummingbirds coming down to the feeders J.  Tomorrow is going to be strange without my family so I’m going to try not to overthink it. Christmas here just have the same charm to it like at home. None the less Feliz Natal!

Day 2 aka Christmas Day!- Before arriving in the Brazil many people told me that Christmas Day would be one of the worst days as I would miss home, without a doubt I do still miss home but it has been quite the opposite in many ways,  so opposite in fact that it’s been the best day since I have arrived in Brazil! This morning me and Joe booked a snorkelling tour to visit 6 of the most beautiful islands Including the ‘Blue Lagoon’. Firstly the islands were astonishing and photos do not do it justice! To get to these beaches we went on a speed boat which was great in itself going fast with the wind blowing in my hair. We also had a great tourist guide who translated everything to English and made sure we was ok the whole time. I honestly just felt at peace! As being on the water will always be a second home to me. Secondly beaches were the most striking locations I have seen in my entire life so far. The water was a turquoise blue and Emerald green colour with many coral reefs; many islands or beaches surrounded by rainforest and therefore can only be reached by boat. Finally it took me a little bit to get used to the snorkel but once I got the hang of it! I couldn’t stop, seeing the majestic angel fish surrounding me was mesmerising, so many fish!! Although at one point we missed a fantastic opportunity, whilst pulling the boat up to one of the islands we stayed at we saw a sea turtle unfortunately it has swam away by the time I could get in the water with my snorkelling gear. Gutted! Other beaches we saw along the way included the lover’s beach and the witches’ beach (named after a woman who was burned for being a witch because she treated the slaves equally and slaves from surrounding areas would beg to work for her).  One of the beaches also had a river estuarine/man-groove feel to it. Which I obviously went swimming in! It was exquisite and felt like you were swimming in a river in the middle of the rainforest. Overall today has been an experience of a lifetime! I am honestly struggling to put it into words to describe this you. I could go on and on. 
Arriving back on the Island Abraão, Both me and Joe realised we have burnt BAD! I mean when I say bad I look like a lobster and can’t move! One of the worst (if not the worst ) I have ever burnt in my entire life! (Hint Tropical Island means you need at least factor 50 suncreamL).  To top the evening off we went for Christmas dinner on the beach front and had the most delicious meal since arriving on the island, Tai Prawns with celery for starters followed by Isla Grande traditional meal of Banana, fish, tomato dish! (as seen in the picture below) Not your traditional Christmas dinner but delicious none the less. Finally finishing with a cocktail of Cachaça (traditional Brazilian drink) with Ginger and Honey! One thing today has made me realise that even though I love and appreciate the Rainforest and where ever my career may lead me. My true passion will always remain in marine biology.





Day 3 aka boxing day: Despite being in pain from intense sun burnt today has been a fairly good day. With the sunburn in mind it’s been hard as it’s been the sunniest day’s since we arrived and I was already in agonising pain. Being a trooper none the less we decided to visit the Lopes Mendez beach which has been voted the 6th most beautiful beach in Brazil! After a nice calming boat ride, on arrival Joe went for a wonder as he does and I lost him for the entire day. Not a problem though I made it down the beach and found a nice shaded spot to sit down. The beach was as beautiful as expected! With a long stretched beach with soft white sand and green sea J. Whist there is chilled by myself with my iPod listening to some Frank Turner and Paramore alongside playing with my camera.  I guess you could say I was finding my “Inner Chi” ;). However the beach was described as having decent surf and as expected all the surfers were out, but to me the water was pretty flat! If they think them waves are considered good surf they should visit Cornwall!  To reach the boat back I had to walk a 20-30 minute forest trail which included huge sectors of bamboo, too my surprise I saw two groups of marmosets, some local people were feeding the primates some banana and offered me to have ago.  It was a fantastic experience having these wild primates feed from my hand and has been a highlight of my time here so far.  Arriving at the other beach I was reunited with Joe, funny enough he spend the entire day on the beach next to the one of the most attractive beaches in the country! What an absolute wally :P.  On return we had some nice crepes for Tea with Palm Heart (A Brazilian dish) followed by a Tequila Sunrise and a Pina Colada by the beach.  It should be noted that even though the beach was beautiful! As stated in previous blogs the view alone just doesn’t cut it for me. I prefer British beaches with the cheesy shops, freezing waters with great surf and rock pools, playing ‘creeping along the beach with my dad’ :P (even if I’m 21) together with body boarding, rock scrambling and sand castles. No matter what spectacular beaches I see around the world, nothing will ever live up to Newquay to me. I guess I will always be British at heart.
P.S. Happy Birthday Dad! Miss you every day!  


My advice is for people who are considering travel abroad, make sure you book somewhere special for Christmas and keep yourself busy :) also avoid social media as much as possible. Theres no point depressing yourself with people sharing pictures of them with there loved ones! Christmas doesn't have to be depressing 


Frank Turner - <If I ever stay> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXAAtTRp3Y




Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário