quinta-feira, 8 de janeiro de 2015

Happy New Year! Bringing in the New Year in Brazil!



2015 in Brazil


2015 has arrived! And how did I spend New Years Eve in Brazil, dancing around drinking beer/vodka to classic rock in a thunderstorm wearing a headlamp because as usual the power was out!  2014 for me has been the year for maturity, personal growth, hard work and going outside my comfort zone. Safe to say it’s been one hell of an emotional year which will continue into 2015. I have so much to look forward to as well in 2015, Including Carnival in February and hopefully booking Iguazu Falls and Pantanal soon and also a lot more field work followed by a 10,000 word report. Best yet even my Joe might be coming here for July! In 2015 I will also be returning home and catching up with everyone. In September starting final year at university with a whole new group of classmates! Scary and exciting stuff! To sum up my new year revolutions this year, be more charitable, try and learn more Portuguese! And tell everyone how grateful I am for the ongoing support through 2014-2015 J.

I have talked a lot about my emotional journey in previous blogs, but my physical journey is almost as difficult. Doing tones of 6 hour hikes when my body isn’t used to much exercise at all is taking its tole. First is the obvious aching muscles, I swear I ache in places that I didn’t even knew existed. Secondly my foot! In august I badly sprained my foot and it’s never fully recovered which mean it often hurts in the field and I am at more risk of re-spraining it. Another occurring problem is my knees; apparently this is a common problem among people who are abusing their bodies going too many down-hill hikes. The only solution is apparently aspirin, rest and some knee braces I have invested in. Not great as my research doesn’t take rest into account and I am therefore feeling older than my years.  Another consideration when hiking is equipment as you needs to take everything with you! Including my first aid kit (which has come quite in handy as I’m usually the person bleeding), Hydration pack, Fashionable waterproof pants and coat, which completely clash and best of all quick dry tops; because despite the sophisticated woman I am ;) women still sweat! But well I guess it’s all in the name of science right!

Despite all this the rainforest is now becoming my second home. I almost know every inch of my 2400m transect line including every loose branch and every slippery rock but it never seizes to surprise. Everyday spent in the field something new and exciting always occurs, keeping me interested whether it’s the diversity in bird choruses or the capuchins angrily throwing fruit at me. However at times the wildlife here tests my patience, trying to survey birds whilst dart around quick, struggling to grasp and position binoculars, and worse of all those darn Thrushes taunting me with their high chirped calls whilst they hide amongst dense vegetation. All this field work has given me a good grasp of on the direction of my project. I have decided that I am to investigate the importance frugivorous species in fruit dispersal and how this can be used in the development of ecological corridors and reduce the threat of fragmentation within the park. My paper aims focus on the distribution of species in relation to fallen fruit, how size and diet of the frugivorous effects distribution which interlinks which also interlinks with seasonal changes and the mutualistic relationship between fruit trees and frugivorous species.  This is something I am actually looking forward to investigating more.

One thing I think I should mention about how disorganised Brazil as a whole is or maybe how organised England is. Every time you do anything simple such as the supermarket or anything queing takes about 45 minutes sometimes just to buy one item and the till breaks every time. Technology here is terrible and that’s coming from someone who is a technophobe.  When you have a problem you have to go to five different places. Its hard to put into words but nothing is ever quick or simple here. Keeps me on my toes to say the least and my teeth are beginning to grind down to my gums at times.

Recently a friend said to me that I should forget about the once in the lifetime stuff as I can go to Brazil at any point in the future. But also consider the fact I’ve began to appreciate the people more at home, and he’s right in saying despite being so apart im more close with Joe, Friends and Family than ever before.  This is something I will treasure forever.

Finally one thing I want to add is how crazy the Thunderstorms have been!, it will be sunny all down and then the heavens will open. It sounds like the worlds going to end! and the flashes are light are surreal! although this is often comes with Blackouts and attracts insects, frogs and worst of all Snakes into my room! yes I found a snake into my room in which Joe had to guide out with a stick! alongside picking up the frog. I guess you can say our room is truly as wild as the rain forest itself






"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".- Eleanor Roosevelt
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny".- Albert Ellis




In my blood- Black Stone Cherry < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ29Pw1P7DE>




 Last Hope – Paramore < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm7q5feofk

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário